Open Burning Guidelines
Residential Open Burning Guidelines
- This guideline does not apply to commercial property or construction sites!
- Builders and Commercial ventures please contact the Fire Marshal’s office for information.
Restrictions must be followed
- Must be located in a clear area (ground and above).
- Must be attended at all times by a responsible adult.
- Pile must be no larger than 3′ (feet) high x 5′ (feet) in diameter.
- Smoke must not infringe on your neighbors. Not allowed during windy conditions.
- Must be during daylight hours only.
- Must be 50′ (Feet) away from any structure.
- Must call (810) 632-7676 before burning.– If Voicemail answers, immediately dial 1 to be forwarded to a message with current burning conditions. Site inspections and permits are no longer required.
- We are happy to come out and check your burn site if you prefer FREE of charge.
You may burn
- Un-treated wood.
- Brush Leaves Paper/Cardboard
YOU MAY NOT BURN:
- Wood containing glues (Plywood, Particle Board etc.)
- Treated wood. Oil or Accelerants (Gas, Kerosene, Diesel, etc.)
- CALL 810-632-7676 BEFORE BURNING
- By calling the number, you are only calling to check on the burning conditions.
If the phone is not answered, you will be prompted to press “1” to check on the burning conditions. You cannot leave a message with this option. If the message says it is ok to burn, then you may do so as long as the wind doesn’t appear to be a problem in your burning location.
If the message says all open burning is NOT PERMITTED then DO NOT START YOUR FIRE.
If the fire department is called out to your location and open burning is not permitted, then you may be subject to fines associated with that call under the Cost Recovery Ordinance, and you may lose your burning privileges.
In addition, if you are found to be burning materials which are not approved, then you may be subject to fines and loss of burning privileges.
REMEMBER: By following the guidelines above, you will do your part to ensure that open burning will be permitted for years to come.
REMEMBER: Regardless of burning conditions for that day,
YOU ARE STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FIRE AND DAMAGES IT MAY CAUSE.
If you have any questions, or we may be of further assistance,
Please feel free to contact us at 810-632-7676